Obama Internet giveaway | Forum

Zain_117
Zain_117 Oct 12 '16
I wanted to tell you guys about this but I was too scared to do so. I'll tell you know if you don't know. Pres. Obama has illegally given away the Internet to the UN. There are several articles on this if you search "obamas internet giveaway"

http:///...-s-internet-giveaway

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Oct 12 '16
The Internet authority is safer with the UN at least in my opinion. Say what you will about the UN, but they are a notoriously inactive bunch, and at worst will enact some overarching legislation on how countries can control web access in accordance with the universal bill of human rights (UBHR). Nothing like the SOPA/PIPA fiasco we faced a few years ago, with a much more narrow scope. With so much of it being passed directly to ICANN anyway, it's in far safer hands than it ever was in the hands of the US congress, again in my opinion.

Not to get too political, but both parties have proven time and again that they are willing to shortchange freedom of speech, and curtail innovation if it means money and/or power for them and their sponsors. Passing global jurisdiction of the internet into the hands of one of the most difficult and divided legislative bodies ever assembled is a very safe place for it, well out of their reach to enact any global scale legislation.
Zain_117
Zain_117 Oct 13 '16

Quote from Maklarr4000 The Internet authority is safer with the UN at least in my opinion. Say what you will about the UN, but they are a notoriously inactive bunch, and at worst will enact some overarching legislation on how countries can control web access in accordance with the universal bill of human rights (UBHR). Nothing like the SOPA/PIPA fiasco we faced a few years ago, with a much more narrow scope. With so much of it being passed directly to ICANN anyway, it's in far safer hands than it ever was in the hands of the US congress, again in my opinion.

Not to get too political, but both parties have proven time and again that they are willing to shortchange freedom of speech, and curtail innovation if it means money and/or power for them and their sponsors. Passing global jurisdiction of the internet into the hands of one of the most difficult and divided legislative bodies ever assembled is a very safe place for it, well out of their reach to enact any global scale legislation.
Thanks for the reply, it is nice to hear another point of view.
quietpickles
quietpickles Jan 23 '17
Thank God for Obama.
The Forum post is edited by quietpickles Jan 29 '17
Mattwo
Mattwo Jan 26 '17
Well of course US lawmakers don't want it to fall into UN's hands, they want to control the internet on a global scale. It's pretty obvious really.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 26 '17
It'll be interesting to see if the hand-off can even take place. I have a feeling the current administration will want to keep their hands on it, if for no other pretext than to secure another of America's economic fronts.

It's going to be an interesting few years, that much is certain.