The Nintendo Switch: Good or Bad? | Forum

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Oct 23 '16
The new Nintendo console was unveiled a few days ago, and now that the knee jerk "Greatest console ever" and "Worst console ever" knee jerk reactions have tapered out, I'm curious...

Considering all that's been said and talked about, is the NX/Switch console the fun successor to the Wii-U Nintendo desperately needs, or another sidelong fiasco like the Wii-U before it? I'm curious for your thoughts!
BennyD
BennyD Oct 24 '16
Given that it has more 3rd part support, and by the looks of it, a better first impression, I'd say it has a bright future. The edge it has over the Wii U is that it doesn't have XBO/PS4 announcements to kill its momentum like Wii U did.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Oct 24 '16

Quote from BennyD Given that it has more 3rd part support, and by the looks of it, a better first impression, I'd say it has a bright future. The edge it has over the Wii U is that it doesn't have XBO/PS4 announcements to kill its momentum like Wii U did.

You are right, it doesn't have that metaphorical sword hanging over it like the Wii-U did. I swear, the WII-U was cursed from the very start.
spiderfan
spiderfan Oct 25 '16

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from BennyD Given that it has more 3rd part support, and by the looks of it, a better first impression, I'd say it has a bright future. The edge it has over the Wii U is that it doesn't have XBO/PS4 announcements to kill its momentum like Wii U did.

You are right, it doesn't have that metaphorical sword hanging over it like the Wii-U did. I swear, the WII-U was cursed from the very start.
I remember watching E3 2011 live and seeing when the Wii U was announced. I was super pumped for it. It looked like Nintendo was going to do some great things... and it turned out that it was closer to the Virtual Boy in sales than anything else. 
spiderfan
spiderfan Oct 25 '16
Here are my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKx7V0utnko

The video was uploaded to GoogleTube as Vidbit is currently down. 

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 14 '17
So, considering all the new things that were revealed, will the Switch be any good?
DFOV3000
DFOV3000 Jan 15 '17
It looks good but IMO they're doing lots of things wrong. They should just release it in Fall when there's enough of a launch lineup. Having possibly only 5 games at launch is worrying and won't drive sales. The prices for the console and accessories are also too high and the battery life should be worked on (another reason this console should have been delayed until fall). Quite why Nintendo feel the need to launch this in March where very little will be going on for the console and they will have very little time to promote is beyond me. Hopefully this is at least like the 3ds and things pick up later on in sales and in all areas in terms of quality. However, SMO and LOZ look great and the idea behind the console is fantastic. Splatoon 2, Arms, 1-2 Switch, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and puyo puyo fever also look great but all should be launched with the Switch. I'm just hoping some of the prices go down and the console has a last minute delay to allow for a better launch and better development.
The Forum post is edited by DFOV3000 Jan 15 '17
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 15 '17

Quote from DFOV3000 It looks good but IMO they're doing lots of things wrong. They should just release it in Fall when there's enough of a launch lineup. Having possibly only 5 games at launch is worrying and won't drive sales. The prices for the console and accessories are also too high and the battery life should be worked on (another reason this console should have been delayed until fall). Quite why Nintendo feel the need to launch this in March where very little will be going on for the console and they will have very little time to promote is beyond me. Hopefully this is at least like the 3ds and things pick up later on in sales and in all areas in terms of quality. However, SMO and LOZ look great and the idea behind the console is fantastic. Splatoon 2, Arms, 1-2 Switch, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and puyo puyo fever also look great but all should be launched with the Switch. I'm just hoping some of the prices go down and the console has a last minute delay to allow for a better launch and better development.
I feel like if there are very little launch games why didn't they launch last Christmas? Then at least you have people buying it. 
Mattwo
Mattwo Jan 18 '17
The Swtich needs a strong launch lineup more than most Nintendo consoles before it aside from the Gamecube and prior.

Also the paid online service is bullshit. It's bad enough Nintendo never charged for this before, making it clear that they do not need to do so but they have literally the weakest additional incentive for it of the three. A rental of a single rom file and only one from a selection of SNES games. I mean...really?

I'm with Jim Sterling on this tbh but I do not agree with him that this is fully killing my interest in the console. I barely play games online on the Wii U to begin with. Hopefully if any MMOs come to the switch they can sidestep the need for two subscriptions like Phantasy Star Universe did on XB360 because when Nintendo is being way more miserly than M$, there might be a legitimate problem with them.

Also when I say MMO on the switch, I mean besides Dragon Quest X because that never came to the west and OF COURSE it's going to get ported again.
The Forum post is edited by Mattwo Jan 18 '17
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 19 '17

Quote from Mattwo The Swtich needs a strong launch lineup more than most Nintendo consoles before it aside from the Gamecube and prior.

Also the paid online service is bullshit. It's bad enough Nintendo never charged for this before, making it clear that they do not need to do so but they have literally the weakest additional incentive for it of the three. A rental of a single rom file and only one from a selection of SNES games. I mean...really?

I'm with Jim Sterling on this tbh but I do not agree with him that this is fully killing my interest in the console. I barely play games online on the Wii U to begin with. Hopefully if any MMOs come to the switch they can sidestep the need for two subscriptions like Phantasy Star Universe did on XB360 because when Nintendo is being way more miserly than M$, there might be a legitimate problem with them.

Also when I say MMO on the switch, I mean besides Dragon Quest X because that never came to the west and OF COURSE it's going to get ported again.
I agree. 
DFOV3000
DFOV3000 Jan 19 '17

Quote from Mattwo The Swtich needs a strong launch lineup more than most Nintendo consoles before it aside from the Gamecube and prior.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. The hardware and software and services that come with it is all too pricey. If Nintendo is wanting to target families and the mass market again like it did wih the Wii then it should have a much better launch lineup than it looks like it is going to have and it should be better quality and a lot cheaper.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 19 '17

Quote from DFOV3000

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. The hardware and software and services that come with it is all too pricey. If Nintendo is wanting to target families and the mass market again like it did wih the Wii then it should have a much better launch lineup than it looks like it is going to have and it should be better quality and a lot cheaper.
The problem is Nintendo can't decide whether or not they want the Wii market or the hardcore PS4/Xbox market. I wish they would decide because IMO it is dragging down Nintendo.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 19 '17
I am rather nervous for the Switch launch. It seems Nintendo isn't keen to even compete with the PS4/XBONE anymore. Their little "solo" event makes sense if they're promoting a toy, but that doesn't bode well for their customers expecting a contender to the reigning champions, and from a potential successor to the 3DS.

In my opinion, the fate of the Switch rests squarely in the success of it's launch titles. A few good games have carried the Wii-U through it's otherwise horrid existence. If the new Zelda game delivers, it will stand up alright on that alone. If Splatoon's sequel lives up to it's hype, it'll keep the console afloat until developers can dig into it. If developers can dig into it. We shall see.

Fingers crossed we can avoid the disaster that was the Wii-U with the switch.
Mattwo
Mattwo Jan 20 '17

Quote from spiderfan

The problem is Nintendo can't decide whether or not they want the Wii market or the hardcore PS4/Xbox market. I wish they would decide because IMO it is dragging down Nintendo.
Sony consoles aren't for the "hardcore market", they're for every demographic. That's why they keep doing so well.

...Except the vita...
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 20 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000 I am rather nervous for the Switch launch. It seems Nintendo isn't keen to even compete with the PS4/XBONE anymore. Their little "solo" event makes sense if they're promoting a toy, but that doesn't bode well for their customers expecting a contender to the reigning champions, and from a potential successor to the 3DS.

In my opinion, the fate of the Switch rests squarely in the success of it's launch titles. A few good games have carried the Wii-U through it's otherwise horrid existence. If the new Zelda game delivers, it will stand up alright on that alone. If Splatoon's sequel lives up to it's hype, it'll keep the console afloat until developers can dig into it. If developers can dig into it. We shall see.

Fingers crossed we can avoid the disaster that was the Wii-U with the switch.
I see Breath of the Wild keeping the Switch launch afloat. However, it is also on the Wii U so I'm curious to see how that affects sales. 
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 20 '17

Quote from Mattwo
Quote from spiderfan

Sony consoles aren't for the "hardcore market", they're for every demographic. That's why they keep doing so well.

...Except the vita...

I thought the VITA was a handheld/mobile crossover, not a true "console" in and of itself.

Actually, is that what the Switch is going to be? Some console/handheld crossover? Oh dear...
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 20 '17

Quote from spiderfan
I see Breath of the Wild keeping the Switch launch afloat. However, it is also on the Wii U so I'm curious to see how that affects sales. 

If I were Nintendo, I would be looking at the Switch as a way to get customers who didn't buy the WII-U to come back to Nintendo. Customers like me who bought the Wii, then waited for the good games that never came to be, and as such, never bought the Wii-U. To be fair, the Switch makes a good case to try and get customers back with Nintendo, and by that logic porting games to both consoles makes sense.

On the flipside, this also reeks of last-gen porting. The game can't be as good on both systems, given what we know about the Switch, it is a much more capable gaming machine than the Wii-U. So, either the Wii-U port will suffer tremendously, or the Switch port will be shackled to the Wii-U's many, many limitations.

Again, I still want to be optimistic, so we'll see what Nintendo does here. Maybe they can yet pull off a miracle.

spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 20 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan

If I were Nintendo, I would be looking at the Switch as a way to get customers who didn't buy the WII-U to come back to Nintendo. Customers like me who bought the Wii, then waited for the good games that never came to be, and as such, never bought the Wii-U. To be fair, the Switch makes a good case to try and get customers back with Nintendo, and by that logic porting games to both consoles makes sense.

On the flipside, this also reeks of last-gen porting. The game can't be as good on both systems, given what we know about the Switch, it is a much more capable gaming machine than the Wii-U. So, either the Wii-U port will suffer tremendously, or the Switch port will be shackled to the Wii-U's many, many limitations.

Again, I still want to be optimistic, so we'll see what Nintendo does here. Maybe they can yet pull off a miracle.

If anyone can pull of a gaming miracle it is Nintendo. On the topic of launch there is discussion that March 3rd is a "soft launch" more than anything. As I said in my video it feels similar to the 3DS. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336018&page=1
The Forum post is edited by spiderfan Jan 20 '17
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 22 '17

Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan

If anyone can pull of a gaming miracle it is Nintendo. On the topic of launch there is discussion that March 3rd is a "soft launch" more than anything. As I said in my video it feels similar to the 3DS. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336018&page=1

Not sure if that's good news or not.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 22 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan

Not sure if that's good news or not.
It is middle ground news. Not great, but not terrible. Nintendo wanted to get the Switch out before the end of the fiscal quarter. If they didn't have pressure from shareholders the Switch would probably come out in the summer or even fall of this year. 
Pages: 1 2 »