The Nintendo Switch: Good or Bad? | Forum

Mattwo
Mattwo Jan 23 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000

I thought the VITA was a handheld/mobile crossover, not a true "console" in and of itself.

Actually, is that what the Switch is going to be? Some console/handheld crossover? Oh dear...
That really wasn't what the Vita's problem was though, with a solid enough game library it would have been able to at least keep up with the 3DS like the the PSP did with the NDS, also Nintendo still seems to be insisting that the Switch is a home console you can take on the go.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 23 '17

Quote from Mattwo
Quote from Maklarr4000

I thought the VITA was a handheld/mobile crossover, not a true "console" in and of itself.

Actually, is that what the Switch is going to be? Some console/handheld crossover? Oh dear...
That really wasn't what the Vita's problem was though, with a solid enough game library it would have been able to at least keep up with the 3DS like the the PSP did with the NDS, also Nintendo still seems to be insisting that the Switch is a home console you can take on the go.

We'll see how that pans out for them. Historically the "console you can take with you" concept hasn't done too well, but maybe this will be the one. I certainly hope so, but what it can really do remains to be seen.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 23 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from Mattwo
Quote from Maklarr4000

We'll see how that pans out for them. Historically the "console you can take with you" concept hasn't done too well, but maybe this will be the one. I certainly hope so, but what it can really do remains to be seen.
Gaijin Goombah had an interesting take on the Nintendo Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxfcsiSoYs

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 23 '17

Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from Mattwo
Quote from Maklarr4000

That is fascinating. Holy cow, it all makes sense.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 24 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from Mattwo
Quote from Maklarr4000

That is fascinating. Holy cow, it all makes sense.
Yeah, Nintendo is very Japanese. Something which would be very cool if not for the fact that North America and Europe are different from Japan. 
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 25 '17
Just the notion that the Switch makes TOTAL sense in it's native Japan. We'll see how that translates to the rest of the world- time will tell.

Also, though it may be further out, it's likely to be advised to make any big-ticket tech purchases in the next couple months in the event the Trump administration does impose tariffs on imported electronics. You can bet your bottom dollar the corporations will pass the bill onto consumers, so save money and buy early.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 25 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000 Just the notion that the Switch makes TOTAL sense in it's native Japan. We'll see how that translates to the rest of the world- time will tell.

Also, though it may be further out, it's likely to be advised to make any big-ticket tech purchases in the next couple months in the event the Trump administration does impose tariffs on imported electronics. You can bet your bottom dollar the corporations will pass the bill onto consumers, so save money and buy early.
Possible. I am curious to see how the Switch translates to North America and Europe. I think it could translate pretty well in North America being that the 3DS has been popular for years now. Anybody from Europe have a take on the Nintendo Switch translating?
Mattwo
Mattwo Jan 26 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from Mattwo
Quote from Maklarr4000

It's been done before?

Quote from Maklarr4000 Just the notion that the Switch makes TOTAL sense in it's native Japan. We'll see how that translates to the rest of the world- time will tell.

Er, by the time I saved enough, it'd probably be too late... I'll just pray they don't do that. Seems like Trump is trying to have the government collapse in on itself though so who knows where that will lead.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 26 '17

Quote from Mattwo
It's been done before?

The systems I'd count as being "portable consoles" would be pretty much anything that tried to bring the power of the "real" system on the go. So, the Game Gear, Virtual Boy, maybe even the Vectrex. None were terribly successful, though hopefully the Switch can avoid their more egregious pitfalls.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 26 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000

Quote from Mattwo
It's been done before?

The systems I'd count as being "portable consoles" would be pretty much anything that tried to bring the power of the "real" system on the go. So, the Game Gear, Virtual Boy, maybe even the Vectrex. None were terribly successful, though hopefully the Switch can avoid their more egregious pitfalls.
Great point Mak. The Game Gear was basically a Master System, the VB was actually a 32-bit console, and the Vectrex is the ultimate console on the go even today. I would love to own one of those.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jan 27 '17

Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000

Quote from Mattwo
It's been done before?

Great point Mak. The Game Gear was basically a Master System, the VB was actually a 32-bit console, and the Vectrex is the ultimate console on the go even today. I would love to own one of those.

To be fair, they all had unique problems that killed them. The Game Gear ate batteries at a time when batteries were prohibitively expensive. The Virtual Boy was revolutionary, but also impossible to use without messing yourself up. The Vectrex was just way, way too far ahead of it's time- had it been more portable, it probably would have worked. Had it been more like other consoles, it probably would have worked- though we'll never really know.

I have a feeling the Switch will have an Achilles heel like these others. The Wii's downfall was it's controls and game list. The Wii-U's was it's gamepad. The Switch? hard to say, but with a system this complex, there will be something there. We will see what happens though.
spiderfan
spiderfan Jan 27 '17

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000

Quote from Mattwo
It's been done before?

To be fair, they all had unique problems that killed them. The Game Gear ate batteries at a time when batteries were prohibitively expensive. The Virtual Boy was revolutionary, but also impossible to use without messing yourself up. The Vectrex was just way, way too far ahead of it's time- had it been more portable, it probably would have worked. Had it been more like other consoles, it probably would have worked- though we'll never really know.

I have a feeling the Switch will have an Achilles heel like these others. The Wii's downfall was it's controls and game list. The Wii-U's was it's gamepad. The Switch? hard to say, but with a system this complex, there will be something there. We will see what happens though.
The thing the Switch has going for it is the portability factor. The question is how much will that sell a console in the year 2017? 
DFOV3000
DFOV3000 Jan 27 '17
Portability could be a great selling factor for the Switch. Think about how everybody liked the idea of getting out and about searching for Pokemon in Pokemon Go. People have been so overriden by home technology and "serious" technology that I'd say whenever something like this which is social and portable comes along people love it and want to have that good feeling that comes with it. Pokemon Go showed this I'd say. What they'll have to do is have this as a key marketing point over the next few months and really get this idea into consumers' heads. The only downside of this is the battery life which isn't as good as a lot of us would have wanted it to be :O. Having said that though, the DS didn't always have such a decent battery life and neither do some phones and laptops and people are still into them and taking them about because of what they can do for you in the few hours you can play on the go for.
Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan
Quote from Maklarr4000

Quote from Mattwo
It's been done before?

The thing the Switch has going for it is the portability factor. The question is how much will that sell a console in the year 2017? 

The Forum post is edited by DFOV3000 Jan 27 '17
Zain_117
Zain_117 Feb 23 '17
I'm pretty apathetic and unsure about it
Pages: « 1 2