Why are people still bitching about YouTube.. | Forum

Plantbob
Plantbob Nov 29 '16
Sup bois, PB here.
Now for the longest time, people have used YouTube to share their videos with the world.
And now, it has turned into peoples jobs.
However, it seems that as of recently, its been broken and almost unusable, to the point of when people switch to alternative sites. Sites that shutdown within 3-5 months of being open.
However, I went back to YT seeing that these sites aren't going to work out.
Then I realized. HEY! there is nothing wrong with YouTube.

Yeah sure, sometimes you don't get videos in your subbox, or someone falsely claims your video or something..
But thats why we have the magic of "DISPUTES"
WOOOOAH, thanks copyright fairy for telling the world of this grand feature.
However, if your like Twinkieman, and know nothing of Copyright, and you use tons of copyrighted music in pretty much all of your videos, your fucked.
And yes, I have dealt with shit on there, but I turned out fine! I had my channel deleted for being "spam".. however in like 1 day or so, I came home to see..
WOOOOAH its back.. wowowow

And yes, I know YT does have problems, EVERY site has problems, however..
You act like YT doesn't see your bitching, I am pretty sure they do..
What if WHAT IF, they are trying to fix it, WOOOAH.
And if someone does somehow takedown your channel, send a support email to YouTube. And for the babies that are to lazy to do reasearch on how to contact them, here. http://bit.ly/2gDCycf

Also, I am open for a argument, I am fine with being proven wrong.
But please don't just call me a idiot and run off like a immature little 12 year old please. I genuinely wanna know why people still think its broken.

AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar
"Also, I am open for a argument, I am fine with being proven wrong."

Considering last time we've spoken about ZippCast, you're not.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Nov 30 '16
My qualms with YouTube are twofold:

-It's broken copyright system that allows legitimate content creators to be bullied and harassed by powerful groups and trolling individuals alike.

-It's inherent bias to build on larger channels over a natural subscriber-growth model. The notion that larger channels get substantially more exposure than smaller channels regardless of their content or quality.

Otherwise, Youtube is fine. The interface is dumb, sure, but that's my opinion, and I deal with it. I rather like their player, as it works everywhere, every time. After years of a player that was a coin-toss if it would even start or not, it was always nice to have something reliable that worked every time without question.

I still believe in the community aspect that these small sites provide, so I don't think that YT will ever totally eclipse the "indie" side of things, but that's why MetaJolt is what it is today- an aggregation platform from everywhere, rather than something to "compete" with everyone else.
Plantbob
Plantbob Nov 30 '16

Quote from AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar "Also, I am open for a argument, I am fine with being proven wrong."

Considering last time we've spoken about ZippCast, you're not.

I have no idea what your talking about tbh, however I am not really annoyed with it coming back, its a new team correct? then I don't see why people are bitching about that either.

The Forum post is edited by Plantbob Nov 30 '16
Plantbob
Plantbob Nov 30 '16

Quote from Maklarr4000 My qualms with YouTube are twofold:

-It's broken copyright system that allows legitimate content creators to be bullied and harassed by powerful groups and trolling individuals alike.

-It's inherent bias to build on larger channels over a natural subscriber-growth model. The notion that larger channels get substantially more exposure than smaller channels regardless of their content or quality.

Otherwise, Youtube is fine. The interface is dumb, sure, but that's my opinion, and I deal with it. I rather like their player, as it works everywhere, every time. After years of a player that was a coin-toss if it would even start or not, it was always nice to have something reliable that worked every time without question.

I still believe in the community aspect that these small sites provide, so I don't think that YT will ever totally eclipse the "indie" side of things, but that's why MetaJolt is what it is today- an aggregation platform from everywhere, rather than something to "compete" with everyone else.

Its not really broken per say, however it is way to easy for people to flag your videos and get them taken down.
However, you can still dispute them, and if that doesn't work, then again, contact YT about it via that link.
And with the second thing, I can agree with that.
Also, I have never used Metajolt, so I will not say anything about that until I do.
AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar
"I have no idea what your talking about tbh, however I am not really annoyed with it coming back, its a new team correct? then I don't see why people are bitching about that either."

Our last conversation went on like this:
You: "Give me a reason ZC sucks, anything, and I'll say I'm wrong!"
Me: "OK then!" *Makes a list about the many things wrong with ZC.*
You: "ZC HAS NO PROBLEMS AND BESIDES THEY'RE PLANNING ON FIXING THEM!!!"
Me: "... You're hopeless."
You: "Looks like someone can't handle BEING WRONG. LOL!"
The Forum post is edited by AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar Nov 30 '16
Plantbob
Plantbob Nov 30 '16

Quote from AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar "I have no idea what your talking about tbh, however I am not really annoyed with it coming back, its a new team correct? then I don't see why people are bitching about that either."

Our last conversation went on like this:
You: "Give me a reason ZC sucks, anything, and I'll say I'm wrong!"
Me: "OK then!" *Makes a list about the many things wrong with ZC.*
You: "ZC HAS NO PROBLEMS AND BESIDES THEY'RE PLANNING ON FIXING THEM!!!"
Me: "... You're hopeless."
You: "Looks like someone can't handle BEING WRONG. LOL!"
I seriously don't remember doing that. Screenshot or it didn't happen.
The Forum post is edited by Plantbob Nov 30 '16
AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar
There you go:

Turtgrounds
Turtgrounds Dec 2 '16

Quote from AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar There you go:

Let's be honest here we were like this at some point doesn't make it any less pathetic but still.
The Forum post is edited by Turtgrounds Dec 2 '16
NJP Admin
NJP Dec 2 '16
I think I can sum this up by saying there was a time when many of us wanted ZippCast to thrive and become a force in the video hosting arena.  Having been on the inside of ZC, I have a slightly different perspective, but the reality was that we all wanted to believe in the project...so much so that it even ruined some friendships along the way.

People who believed strongly in ZippCast were willing to defend it to those who didn't believe in it.  The opinions were very strong on both sides of the argument,  Who "won" or who "lost" that argument is no longer relevant.  The fact is that things precipitated out of control, resulting in the ultimate closure of ZC.   In that aspect, I think we ALL lost something.

I am not going to sit here and go on and on about what happened to ZippCast (that is not the actual intent of this thread) but I can say that I have looked at both sides of this, and can not and will not fault anyone for their opinions...good or bad; for or against.

The time is now to move forward and see what the future brings.  No matter what it brings, it will no doubt be interesting to say the least.

AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar
Believing in something is one thing. I believed on ZippCast at one point, but I knew for a certain the website worked like shit. Thing is: Insisting the place you like to go is perfect because they're TRYING doesn't make it look any more better than it actually is.

That's what Point #5 on my argument was there. To you who don't mind the website being broken as hell because you believe in it, the place is an utopia. To people who are there because they're indifferent about it, the place is a hellhole.

You can't counter-argument something is bad with "THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE IT BETTER!" Specially when the "trying" part has been going around for 7 years straight now with little to no improvement.

Now, back on the topic of this thread: No, PlantBob doesn't like to admit he's wrong. He repeated the same thing, word by word, 8 months ago and didn't go through the admitting part. And considering he has "forgotten" about it, my point here is proven.

But for the sake of the thread, let's just go on a few notes about why YouTube is broken:
- The goddamn "Auto" quality option, the single most hated aspect of mine. It never knows my internet is capable to handle 480p, and turns it down to 144p/240p almost every single time.
- Comments disappear randomly. I've left quite a few comments on a few channels, and they have the ability to go missing 2 hours after posted for no explainable reason. I assume they get caught in a buggy as hell "SPAM" filter, as many of the comments I get on my own channel do, and the creator doesn't bother approving said comments, because they barely know they exist. P.S: I'm a very anti-meme person, no comment I make is copy-pasted outta nowhere. How is it that my comments get SPAM-filtered over shit like this is beyond me: http://i.imgur.com/HCvrM1r.jpg http://i.imgur.com/bXtppR3.jpg
- YouTube Heroes: Encouraging people to flag videos just for the hell of it, so they can get mass-flagging powers. Perfect tool for SJWs and liberals who like censorship on anything they deem "offensive" (A.K.A, everything in this planet). But of course, it's not out yet, and it's received quite a backlash, I can only hope they cancel it.
- Blocking doesn't do shit anymore. People can still comment on your channel/videos, the thing is: The comments themselves will be deleted afterwards, but you STILL receive them through e-mail. It doesn't stop there, people can still comment on your channel/videos and the comment will stay up if they are replying to another comment someone else made.
- YouTube FUCKS UP the quality of just about every video I upload. I don't know what's up with their converters, but most of the time, my videos end up being blocky, brightness and contrast and raised up for no damn reason, audio gets out of sync, and sometimes, audio just doesn't work. It took me 5 different softwares to find one that won't fuck up the quality too much, but YouTube still fucks it a little anyway.
- Speaking of uploading, right after I start uploading a video, I can't delete the file on my computer even after upload is complete. I have to reboot the system for it.

There are other problems here and there, but overall, they are minimal annoyances I (and probably only I) experience and I don't go as far as to say YouTube is broken to the ground like everyone on the internet now does. It does have problems, it's far from being perfect, but overall, it works on doing what it was designed to be for most people: Playing videos.

Just my two cents on this thread.
NJP Admin
NJP Dec 2 '16
All very good points.  I can not disagree with you on any of them.  Sometimes we ( I ) try to believe in something so much that I may not see it as objectively as we ( I ) probably should.   Sometimes stepping away is what it takes to get a more objective point of view.  There is plenty of blame to go around on that topic, and I am willing to accept my part of it.

Back on-topic with the YouTube discussion:
--I have noted the comment bug where there are what I call "phantom" comments.  The counter at the top may show 20 comments, but there are only two or three showing.  Where are all those comments?  If they got deleted, then the counter should show a reduced number.   If they are awaiting approval then the count should not show them until they actually appear in the comment section.
--As for the "YouTube Heroes" thing:  Man, I couldn't agree more with you!  That is an insanely bad idea.  Making a contest out of something like that is just wrong on so many levels.  
--Personally, I have not experienced the "unable to delete" that you described, but then I seldom delete videos after uploading them.  As for quality, I usually don't have a reduced quality issue, but I have seen YT cut off the beginning and the end by a few seconds now and then.  That's why I usually have several seconds of blank at the start and end of my videos.  Not that my videos are that important, but I do like to be able to have it all there at least.

All of that being said, I still like YouTube and use it on a daily basis.  It simply works...with a few exceptions as noted.  Is it perfect?  No way....but then what in this world is perfect?  The fact is that YouTube remains the largest online video content provider.  There is a reason for this.  Because it is stable and it is not going to just vanish without a clue one day.

Turtgrounds
Turtgrounds Dec 3 '16

Quote from AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar Believing in something is one thing. I believed on ZippCast at one point, but I knew for a certain the website worked like shit. Thing is: Insisting the place you like to go is perfect because they're TRYING doesn't make it look any more better than it actually is.

That's what Point #5 on my argument was there. To you who don't mind the website being broken as hell because you believe in it, the place is an utopia. To people who are there because they're indifferent about it, the place is a hellhole.

You can't counter-argument something is bad with "THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE IT BETTER!" Specially when the "trying" part has been going around for 7 years straight now with little to no improvement.

Now, back on the topic of this thread: No, PlantBob doesn't like to admit he's wrong. He repeated the same thing, word by word, 8 months ago and didn't go through the admitting part. And considering he has "forgotten" about it, my point here is proven.

But for the sake of the thread, let's just go on a few notes about why YouTube is broken:
- The goddamn "Auto" quality option, the single most hated aspect of mine. It never knows my internet is capable to handle 480p, and turns it down to 144p/240p almost every single time.
- Comments disappear randomly. I've left quite a few comments on a few channels, and they have the ability to go missing 2 hours after posted for no explainable reason. I assume they get caught in a buggy as hell "SPAM" filter, as many of the comments I get on my own channel do, and the creator doesn't bother approving said comments, because they barely know they exist. P.S: I'm a very anti-meme person, no comment I make is copy-pasted outta nowhere. How is it that my comments get SPAM-filtered over shit like this is beyond me: http://i.imgur.com/HCvrM1r.jpg http://i.imgur.com/bXtppR3.jpg
- YouTube Heroes: Encouraging people to flag videos just for the hell of it, so they can get mass-flagging powers. Perfect tool for SJWs and liberals who like censorship on anything they deem "offensive" (A.K.A, everything in this planet). But of course, it's not out yet, and it's received quite a backlash, I can only hope they cancel it.
- Blocking doesn't do shit anymore. People can still comment on your channel/videos, the thing is: The comments themselves will be deleted afterwards, but you STILL receive them through e-mail. It doesn't stop there, people can still comment on your channel/videos and the comment will stay up if they are replying to another comment someone else made.
- YouTube FUCKS UP the quality of just about every video I upload. I don't know what's up with their converters, but most of the time, my videos end up being blocky, brightness and contrast and raised up for no damn reason, audio gets out of sync, and sometimes, audio just doesn't work. It took me 5 different softwares to find one that won't fuck up the quality too much, but YouTube still fucks it a little anyway.
- Speaking of uploading, right after I start uploading a video, I can't delete the file on my computer even after upload is complete. I have to reboot the system for it.

There are other problems here and there, but overall, they are minimal annoyances I (and probably only I) experience and I don't go as far as to say YouTube is broken to the ground like everyone on the internet now does. It does have problems, it's far from being perfect, but overall, it works on doing what it was designed to be for most people: Playing videos.

Just my two cents on this thread.

Just a question Alisson have you ever tought if the people you blocked ban dodged?
AlissonDatJerkfaceLiar
"Just a question Alisson have you ever tought if the people you blocked ban dodged?"

Happened before, still happens. The fact YouTube makes it easier for them not to waste 20 minutes of their life and countless cellphone numbers each time they make a new account doesn't make it any less of a problem. I could keep blocking them until they got tired of making new accounts or ran out of cellphone numbers, instead, they can just chill and comment without a care in the world.
Mattwo
Mattwo Dec 4 '16
Off the top of my head:

Stuff randomly breaking without explanation (comment editing was broken all morning the other day and I still can't reply to my own videos' comments which I am told is a known issue)

Reports don't get listened to except for specific kinds that will get them in legal trouble if they don't.

The spam filter filters legitimate URLs regardless if the comment looks like an advertisement or not yet obvious spambots posing as popular YouTubers IN THEIR OWN VIDEOS' COMMENT SECTIONS keep going unhindered.

Spambots that only ever reply to comments go unpunished because you can't use their Google Plus pages to find all the spam they post to file a user report on them with.

An ongoing history of dissatisfaction as soon as I found the contact support/feedback button on the dashboard.

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7anlnpLOiU4And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJQ0gFHM8s

Also some older videos have their resolution SEVERELY screwed up like the older ones of these https://www.youtube.com/...t=PL320BAFE81584B804 (though they aren't any less funny at least).

Oh yea, just remembered one that came up while going back over those: Sometimes there's this weird, annoying and really loud noise then the audio cuts out but if you rewind a tiny bit suddenly it's fine.

Edit: Oh yea and annotations no longer work alongside cards. I expect them to be dropped some time next year because apparently they can't be damned to fix them for mobile....

Edit2: Speaking of my dissatisfaction with their user "support". If you are partnered, non-monetized videos with content IDs suddenly get monetized on ALL steps of the dispute processes (at least until the dispute is rejected and until your video is removed after the appeal is rejected). This is bad if you have in-video ads and don't even notice this happens as monetizing videos with those is a ToS violation (granted the odds of their advertisers actually noticing this are pretty slim though). They refused to do anything about this.
The Forum post is edited by Mattwo Dec 4 '16
Plantbob
Plantbob Dec 5 '16
All very good points!
I have decided to leave YouTube for a while and upload on Vid.Me which I find is the best alternative to YouTube rn.
Mattwo
Mattwo Dec 6 '16
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you're so intent on leaving YouTube even though history has shown that never works, mirror everything to Internet Archive and private YT videos too.