RIP Net Neutrality | Forum

NJP Admin
NJP Dec 15 '17
I know I already posted this on the front page, but I wanted to start a Forum topic on it as well.  I hope this pi$$es off enough people that we FINALLY DO SOMETHING about these goofballs in Washington DC. 
So here it is for your reading enjoyment once again:

RIP Net Neutrality. " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: middle; background: rgba(0, 0, 25, 0.6); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: core_sans_e45_regular, "Lucida Grande", Tahoma, Verdana;"> 
Once again, our Do-Nothing "representatives" in DC come through in flying colors. It is so sad to see these morons that WE elected just continue to fail us all on so many fronts. ..And yes, I am a conservative (pseudo)Republican. Although right now I am somewhat ashamed to admit being a Republican. What a bunch of goofs! They failed to repeal Obama-care; they failed to keep Net Neutrality, and it looks like they are going to fail at tax reform.
Can anyone tell me WTF these idiots actually do out there??? I can say this much: Taxation without representation is supposedly against the Constitution. Well, these clowns sure as HELL are not representing me or anyone else I know.
I do not know what the answer is, but I can damn sure tell you this much: Democrat, Independent Republican or whatever, I will NOT be voting ANY incumbents back to office in future elections. Maybe ie is only one vote, but it HAS to start somewhere....right?

At any rate, (at least in the USA) get ready to hold on tight to your wallets. Our internet is about to become even more ridiculously expensive than it already is...and with more data caps and restrictions than ever. Yep, America, WE THE PEOPLE made this happen! " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: middle; background: rgba(0, 0, 25, 0.6); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: core_sans_e45_regular, "Lucida Grande", Tahoma, Verdana;">
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Dec 26 '17
We still have roughly 45 days before the rules change, and at least one ISP (CentryLink out on the West Coast) is backpedaling as their in-house streaming services stand to be made all but unwatchable on their larger rivals' networks.

On the political front, at least 20 senators are working on a resolution to try and undo the changes, but seeing as both the GOP and DNC were more than happy to take the piles of money from the cable lobby, it's not looking great there either. In what is surely a huge coincidence, the Senators and Congresspeople that took the largest sums of Cable Lobby money are the ones who have sided with Ajit Pai and the FCC at every turn.

We have some help at the state level. States like Washington and Oregon are already announcing their own "versions" of the Net Neutrality rules, and sidestepping the FCC's changes by simply barring cable companies that fail to comply from doing business in their states. It's a gamble that is unlikely to hold up in court, but it does buy time for a better solution.

Beyond that, the deregulation here may offer us a solution we haven't yet foreseen- everything from new satellite providers to international service companies to domestic startups we don't yet know of are all possible avenues to put the screws to the current cable oligopoly.

The fight isn't over, as much as ATT, Verizon, Comcast, Charter, and the rest would like to believe. Net Neutrality was a "critical" issue to 96% of voters under 30, who overwhelmingly support Net Neutrality. When the effects of these changes begin to be felt by consumers, and the election cycle moves forward, watch and see how many politicians change their tune to stay in office. Or, conversely, watch as they lose their seats to newcomers who will seize on the issue to mobilize massive volumes of voters. Whichever party courts them best will seize the next major elections.

Nothing lasts forever; good, bad, and otherwise.