DUMB NEWS Pikachu Edition | Forum

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jun 1 '16
Protesters in Hong Kong gathered to protest Pikachu's name being changed in the new version of the Pokemon game from one version of the language to the other.

(CNET)

Kinda puts real world problems in perspective, but that got me wondering- what would you do if the company changed the name of a beloved character you held dear in your market? I don't know that I'd protest, but I'd voice my concerns. i don't know, what do you guys think?
BennyD
BennyD Jun 2 '16
Considering that the name change is being done to accomadate only one of China's two languages, I almost agree with it, but at the same time, if they know Pikachu's name enough, then does there really need to be a change?
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jun 2 '16
I guess now I'm more curious about what push there was to unify the nomenclature in the first place. It would seem easy enough to just support both languages in two separate software releases. It's a curious change for a part of the world that really does get hot under the collar about this sort of thing. Not sure what Nintendo was going for here.
Doombreon
Doombreon Jun 5 '16
Trump: When I become president, we will rename Mario into Mark, here in America.  You know what..i wouldnt be surprised if this happens...)
quietpickles
quietpickles Nov 8 '16
Eh, it's just a name. Pikachu's had a more drastic change in body shape.