The Future of MetaJolt | Forum

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jul 7 '16
Alright, I'm sure you have many questions, so I'll cut right to the heart of it. Due to the continued and sustained pressure we have experienced from our primary critic, we (MetaJolt) must close. The reason for this is NOT that we are in the legal wrong, or in violation of any terms. Simply put, it is quickly becoming prohibitively expensive to migrate from service provider to service provider, and our community deserves better than a site that goes down for maintenance every few weeks. These continued problems are unfair to all of you- you deserve better.

For this reason, MetaJolt will be closing at midnight on 7.7.16. This has not been an easy decision, nor is this the option we would have pursued had their been any other possible means to remain open. Likewise, we are not closing down due to internal issues, financial issues related to “normal” operations, nor due to technical problems with the website itself.

So, what does the future of MetaJolt hold? To be honest, I'm not sure. This is certainly not the end of the road for MetaJolt, but I do not have a timetable yet as to when we can return. When I do, it will be posted here for everyone to see.

All the same, MetaJolt proved a few things in it's short 24 days of “full” operation that likely have upset the status quo for years to come. We proved that very small video sharing sites could be made light, flexible, and functional. We proved that this could be done affordably- MetaJolt's total bill was just over $300 this last month, excluding all the fees moving from service provider to service providers. We proved it could be done reliably and transparently- no secrets, no BS, no blatant lies or whimsical elements about it at all. If it had to get done, it got done, and in record time too. If we have inspired even one person to take the plunge and try their hand at a video sharing site, then that is success for me. You don't need to be a YouTube clone to have fun, independent video share- not anymore. Our 209 users and 1500+ videos in 24 days proves that much!

In the end, I have a lot of people to thank for making the project what it was.

Justin- You were and are a superb mod. I am thankful we were able to reconnect on the MetaJolt project. That you were willing and able to give the community and I 110% of your skills and a great deal of your time when we needed you is great, and I cannot thank you enough for all that you've done there.

Mark- You and I have been friends for years and years now- and thinking back to how I stepped in for you when you needed it all those years ago, it was an honor to have you step in to help me when we needed it after our launch. You are, without question, one of the greatest moderators I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Your intra-personal skills, and genuine care and understanding for the people you serve truly makes you one of the best, and it was wonderful to have you with us on the project.

Cam- I owe you more immensely than I can properly state. You built the MetaJolt engine entirely by hand, coding long late nights in the last week of May to try and force the thing out the door in time for our accelerated launch. The site has been a test, no doubt, but to date we've never found a problem that you couldn't surmount. You were able to build a platform we could all be proud of, and I cannot thank you enough for all that you've done to make this site possible. I know it's been said many times, and many ways, but you are the best. Thank you Cam!

Finally, I want to thank all of you, our users. I've said it many times before that a website can have the greatest software imaginable, but without users there is no point to it- it's worth nothing to anyone. You have not only made MetaJolt possible, but you have made it enjoyable. You have made it's existence worthwhile- something no amount of code can do. You all deserve better- better than even I can provide at the moment- you deserve a stable, functional platform that is guaranteed to be there when you log into it. We intend to be that site someday, but when that will be possible I do not yet know, and I don't intend to drag you all through the ups and downs we may face as we work towards that goal.

We cannot thank you all enough for your support of our site, the use of our site; for your friendships and words of encouragement during this difficult time. It is for you that we do what we do, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we discern the future of MetaJolt, and work towards making a safe, stable, and reliable future for all of us sometime in the future..

Thank you, and whatever you do- wherever you go, good luck!

-Alex, Maklarr4000, MetaJolt Administrator
BennyD
BennyD Jul 7 '16
Thank you for trying, guys! It was a great site!
BrandonSkylark
BrandonSkylark Jul 7 '16
Mak, I must say, even though the site has faced many problems in the past trying to get a start and stuff, I just wanna say, thanks for doing all your best, Cameron and the other staff too, for your effort to provide us with a decent video-sharing site.

It was kinda sad to see Metajolt go, after only a month of operation, but I do hope it returns in the future.

spiderfan
spiderfan Jul 7 '16
Thanks Mak and Cam for doing everything in your power to keep the site going. I hope it comes back sooner rather than later. 

EDIT: You guys should contact FUPA. Their whole existence is based on dealing with false DMCA claims and helping the little guy. http://morrisonlee.com/fupa/

Also is Metajolt's data going to be lost or stored somewhere for a return? 

The Forum post is edited by spiderfan Jul 7 '16
NJP Admin
NJP Jul 7 '16
You guys put up a gallant effort.  There was (is?) a lot of potential in a site like that.  I think that aggregating embedding and uploading is a cool concept.  Sadly, sometimes things just don't work...in spite of your best efforts.

Analogy to a race car:  Sometimes, no matter how much work you put in; no matter how fast your car is, there are times when you just don't take that checkered flag ae at the end.  Doesn't make you any less of a race team; just means next time you come in with something even better.

The Forum post is edited by NJP Jul 7 '16
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jul 7 '16

Quote from spiderfan Thanks Mak and Cam for doing everything in your power to keep the site going. I hope it comes back sooner rather than later. 

EDIT: You guys should contact FUPA. Their whole existence is based on dealing with false DMCA claims and helping the little guy. http://morrisonlee.com/fupa/

Your data is safe with us. Hey, we may have lost the battle, but this isn't over by a long shot.

Edit: If anyone needs anything off the system, PM me here or email me at [email protected], and I'll be happy to assist. (bow)
The Forum post is edited by Maklarr4000 Jul 7 '16
spiderfan
spiderfan Jul 7 '16

Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from spiderfan Thanks Mak and Cam for doing everything in your power to keep the site going. I hope it comes back sooner rather than later. 

Your data is safe with us. Hey, we may have lost the battle, but this isn't over by a long shot.

Edit: If anyone needs anything off the system, PM me here or email me at [email protected], and I'll be happy to assist.
Good deal. 
Mattwo
Mattwo Jul 7 '16

Don't bother waiting for FUPA to get back to you. Contact Morrison Lee Directly.
Channeleven
Channeleven Jul 8 '16

So basically, we lost an amazing website because a certain someone hated how we saw through his farce? Oh, and it's all for nothing because his own website is still dead.

(on a side note, it's a good thing that it's easy to download videos from MJ.)
Channeleven
Channeleven Jul 8 '16
Took to making a brief requiem video for the site.

spiderfan
spiderfan Jul 8 '16

Quote from Channeleven

So basically, we lost an amazing website because a certain someone hated how we saw through his farce? Oh, and it's all for nothing because his own website is still dead.

(on a side note, it's a good thing that it's easy to download videos from MJ.)
Basically. He pushed Metajolt into seclusion out of spite to Mak and Cam and everybody else who moved their after the site that shall not be named was shut down. Which is ironic because he shut down the site that shall not be named out of spite because people questioned what was going on. He is a Jerkface and a stupid one at that. 
Mattwo
Mattwo Jul 8 '16
Just thought I'd point out that MetaJolt is still up...
Channeleven
Channeleven Jul 11 '16

Looks like it might be down for real (at least for now).

Mattwo
Mattwo Jul 12 '16
Louis hasn't claimed the domain name yet though he claims that's just because the process is slow.
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jul 13 '16

Quote from Mattwo Louis hasn't claimed the domain name yet though he claims that's just because the process is slow.

I believed everything I was told at face value for 2+ years, and look where it got me. Don't be me.

The funniest thing is that even if I do lose the domain by some chance, it's already too late.

Mattwo
Mattwo Jul 13 '16
Too late?
Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jul 13 '16

Quote from Mattwo Too late?

BrandonSkylark
BrandonSkylark Jul 13 '16
Hey, Mak, do you still have the MEGA links to those Metajolt logo videos?
Quote from Maklarr4000
Quote from Mattwo Too late?

Maklarr4000 Meta
Maklarr4000 Jul 13 '16

Quote from BrandonSkylark Hey, Mak, do you still have the MEGA links to those Metajolt logo videos?

Sure do! https://mega.nz/#F!OZ5EwTaC!xD7NkQ7EgCyDGo56qXRCvA
BrandonSkylark
BrandonSkylark Jul 13 '16
Thanks, Mak

Also, is there a time estimate yet on when MJ might be back up?

Pages: 1 2 »